June 28, 2020
We are so pleased to be opening the Tallyho pool this Tuesday, June 30th and look forward to welcoming members back for the 2020 season! As a board, we have spent the last several months working through a variety of federal, state, and county guidance on accommodations that would allow our pool to open this summer in a safe and responsible way. We are confident in our plan for moving forward.
Member health safety has been and remains our top priority; as does protecting the overall financial health of our Club. With that in mind, we wanted to share with you the steps the board has taken to allow us to responsibly open for the 2020 season and give our members the opportunity to safely enjoy the pool.
The pool’s general liability and Directors and Officers insurance policies do NOT cover any COVID-19 related claims. This means that if someone at our pool were to contract COVID-19, despite all of the additional protocols we plan to implement, there is no protection from the potential financial implications of a lawsuit (even if that claim was eventually thrown out or disproved). As a result, the board consulted with outside legal counsel and came up with the following plan:
- The current Tallyho Club Bylaws (Article IX, Section 8), available on our website, indemnify the volunteer directors from any personal liability related to a claim against the pool. This means that the Tallyho Club and its members are responsible for covering all expenses related to any claim against the pool. To this end, the board passed a resolution to reaffirm and acknowledge this liability indemnification and establish a reserve fund of $75,000 to cover any legal costs or damages the Club may incur. Click here to read the complete resolution.
- To further protect the Club against any claims of negligence, we will require all members who choose to use the pool to sign a waiver agreeing to abide by all the necessary rules and waive all claims of liability against the pool, the directors and officers, and the management company. A copy of the waiver can be found here, hard copies will be available at the pool. Each adult per membership will need to sign and one adult can sign on behalf of shared minor children on the membership. You must have a signed waiver on file prior to your first use of the pool.
- Finally, to assure that the health of our members is protected and everyone can enjoy the pool, we will need to rely on all of you for your support of, and compliance with, all safety protocols and rules (the complete list can be found here). These rules are based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control as well as state and county health departments. Following these rules is essential to maintaining a safe environment, so there will be a zero tolerance policy for non-compliance.
Opening Regulations: On Tuesday, June 30th, the pool will open for reservation-based lap swim only. This will allow the staff and membership to adjust to the new COVID-19 guidelines. Assuming all goes well with this first phase, we will open for reservation-based recreation swim on Sunday, July 5th. Both will be within the new capacity and social-distancing guidelines mandated by federal, state, and local agencies. The first days of lap-swim only means one swimmer per lane (6 lanes). Recreation swim will include open pool areas as well as two dedicated lap lanes at all times.
Dues: The pro-rated member dues for the 2020 season will be $350. Associate member dues will be $725. These reduced rates reflect both the shortened season and the $200 operations fee bonded members paid in the spring. We must have a minimum of 150 members sign up to swim and pay their dues in order to cover the cost of operating this season (even with this number the pool will still take a financial loss). If we do not meet this minimum, we may be forced to end the season early (members will receive a pro-rated refund of their dues payment should this occur). Dues should be paid through the Tallyho website. You must pay your dues to get access to make a reservation online to come to the pool. Dues are not currently live. We will open online dues very shortly and will send a separate email to let you know that dues are open and instructions on dues and how to make reservations, but wanted to share as much as possible before the weekend ended.
Hours and Operations:
- The pool will be open seven days a week from 11 am to 9 pm.
- During the first week of lap swimming, we will offer nine 45-minute swim sessions. Per the county guidelines, lap swimming is 1 swimmer per lane and each lap swimmer is only allowed one additional member to accompany them and wait in another area of the pool (presumably an adult for a child swimming laps or someone helping an older member).
- Starting July 5th, we will offer both 90 minute recreation swim sessions and 45 minute lap swim sessions within this time to accommodate 4 lap swimmers per 90 minute session. We plan to offer five recreation sessions per day to start. The maximum capacity for each session is 50 people. Families are encouraged to come together and children under 15 need an adult present while at the pool this summer.
- To protect the health and safety of our senior members, the pool will offer special swim sessions for members age 60+ on Tuesday mornings from 11 am to 12:30 pm and Thursday evenings from 7:30 pm to 9:00 pm. The pool staff will conduct thorough cleanings between each session daily. Please respect this segment of our community and do not sign up unless you are 60+ during these times.
Reservations: Until we have a better sense of the demand for reservations, we ask that members book no more than two sessions per week so that everyone has a chance to enjoy the pool despite the limited capacity. We know everyone wants to use the pool so we will work to make this both equitable and available as much as possible for all members. Reservations can be made up to three days in advance through the Tallyho website. You will not be able to reserve swim time until both your $200 operations fee and 2020 dues have been paid in full. Please email email@example.com with any questions.
Read the Rules: Be patient, compliant and kind. This is uncharted territory for everyone involved. The Board worked very hard to provide a pool for our members’ use this summer. For this to be a success, we need 100 percent compliance on social distancing and hygiene rules; as well as our own pool protocols, which includes following all staff directions. Familiarize yourself and your families with the rules now so that the pool runs smoothly and is enjoyable for all. You can find all the rules and guidelines here.
We want to thank everyone for their support and patience over the last few months – transitioning to an online membership platform, sending encouraging emails, participating in surveys, and paying the $200 operations fee. It has been a busy spring and we look forward to getting everyone back in the pool (at a safe distance, of course)!
The Tallyho Board